http://www.pbs.org/wnet/africa/explore/ethiopia/ethiopia_folklore.html
Write a summary of the myth, or story.
The myth story is about Makeda, queen of Sheba, that believed that wisdom was far more important than riches. She heard of King Solomon and when she visited him, he said that wisdom came from the God of Israel. She praised that idea afterwards and swore allegiance. When she left she bore the King's son, Menelik. When the son left to go to Ethiopia, he took the Ark of the Covenant,the resting place for the Ten Commandments. The King's men chased after him but God lifted him over the Red Sea and escaped with the Ark into Ethiopia.
Explain how the elements of the African myth, or story were incorporated into the myth.
I am not sure what this really means. I am guessing that the story is somewhat ironic. The King said that wisdom came from the Gods but the Gods let Menelik escape.
What was entertaining about the myth, or story?
The irony of it since, in a way, the God's failed King Solomon by letting his own son flee with the Ark of the Covenant into Ethiopia.
What did the myth, or story teach about African culture?
I think the whole point was that Ethiopia is a sacred place and it was so sacred that even God helped them out by bringing the Ark to them and away from the King.
How could you apply the myth, or story to your own life?
I could possibly use the fact that the King cannot trust his own son since he left with the Ark. So maybe I should really get to know them before really trusting a person. Even a person as close as a relative, you never know when [s]he could actually be a schemeing , evil person.
Tuesday, April 28, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment